Sunday, January 4, 2009

holiday reflection

Ah... the holidays are over. I'm glad that the chaos has come to an end and that the house is back in order. But, with mixed emotions I'm sad for the fun times that are over and that our families have returned home. The holidays left us with wonderful memories, just a few of which I thought I would share with you:

We spent a day at Crown Center - Christmas time is so pretty there. There are so many fun stores for kids, not the least of which is the Crayola Store. McKenna quickly found a pod of easels for kids to color on and anxiously waited her turn. Once it was her turn, Duke and I didn't think we would be able to tear her away. Trying to be concious of the other kids who wanted to color, we tried to call McKenna's attention to all the other cool things in the store.. "Let's go look at the {insert cool thing of your choice here}, McKenna," we pleaded. "YOU go!" she replied. Hmmm... I wonder where she got that sass!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Christmas Eve found us at church for a candlelight service. Knowing that we might have to excuse ourselves from the sanctuary to keep McKenna entertained, we sat in the back row. Although she wasn't being noisy, McKenna was ALL OVER THE PLACE. Sitting in Duke's lap, sitting in my lap, walking in front of us, sitting in Grampy's lap, crawling over the back of the pew, walking behind us. "I walk, I walk," she would beg, so Duke would take her outside to walk. After some time, he decided to take the kids home. We could still hear her calling "I walk, I walk" as he came back into the sanctuary to collect her coat. The second she saw him with her coat, her tune quickly changed. "I sit, I sit," she exclaimed. It was too late.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One night, we all went to the Rainforest Cafe for dinner. I don't know what they put in those kids' meals, but McKenna and Hobbs ate enough to feed a horse!! When we got home, Hobbs made his way to our dog, Schatzie's food bowl and began snacking on her food. "Hobbs," Brandt exclaimed, "you should be full!" Yes, Brandt... because THAT is what's wrong with that picture.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Ah, good smiles. :) Can't wait to see some pictures from the Rainforest Cafe-you know, since I was the bad mom that forgot my camera and is relying on yours! We miss you guys!