Thursday, June 11, 2009

where's my tidy girl?

I would have taken a picture of what happened tonight, but I didn't want to encourage McKenna to EVER do it again. As we were cleaning up the kitchen after dinner, McKenna disappeared into the living room to play (nothing unusual). A short while later, Duke looked around the corner to check on her.

"Oh, no," he gasped.

It wasn't said with fear in his voice, just shear despair. I couldn't imagine what he had found. With just weeks left in this house, I imagined some type of property destruction that would cost us an arm and a leg. All I could do to ease my imagine was to look for myself. I looked around the corner and found McKenna next to one of our potted plants emptying the potting soil onto the floor. There she knelt, smearing the dirt into the carpet like finger paints on a canvas.

Duke took her into the kitchen as I started to clean up the mess. Several of her toys were in the midst of the pile of dirt, so I tossed them and as much of the soil that I could pick up by hand into an Easter basket that lay nearby. In the meantime, Rhett made his way to where I was to see what was going on. With my back turned, he emptied the basket, dirty toys, and potting soil onto a different part of the carpet.

"Oh, Rhett," I sighed.

With that, McKenna came running back into the living room only to reprimanded Rhett. "Don't make a mess, Rhett!"

Oh, McKenna. What happended to my tidy girl?

3 comments:

Gina said...

Look at the bright side - at least it wasn't the new carpet in your new house!!

Sara said...

Hee hee! I love it...McKenna must always keep in mind that it's ALWAYS the younger sibling's fault. :) Oh, but I love you Rhett! :)

SafetyWife said...

OMG..that is the best. But I'm sure not so fun at the time! I guess I need not laugh too hard, my day is coming.